Anchoring vs Dating

It's officially 6 days, 16 hours, 54 minutes, and 7 seconds until Chris Gailus comes to teach us News Anchoring and I'm getting really excited.

One reason is that we did our first anchoring assignment today and actually it's a lot harder than it looks.

I don't think I'm alone when I say that after this morning I felt a little nervous about my future as a Broadcast Journalist. At the end of our in class critique one of my classmates was on her way to Student Services to be diagnosed with dyslexia (although I wholeheartedly believe this was an over-exaggeration and a possible case of cyberchondria). Another classmate who wishes to remain anonymous but let me just say he is 1 of 2 contributors to our favourite blog The 5 Yard Curl, definitely regretted (although I don't) actually singing Frank Sinatra to introduce his World Series highlights. In between wondering whether I have a speech impediment and contemplating switching bronzers, I was at the very least speed dialing my hairdresser, Kevin, for an emergency bang trim.

All in all this was just another day at BCIT, which I'll take a moment to explain stands for The British Columbia Institute of Technology. It's interesting to note that daily, if not hourly, there is a technological problem resulting in videos being missed, audio not being recorded, or our dreaded computer assignments on the server being inaccessible. It makes me wonder what Institutes of Non-Technology are like... yikes! That being said, if everything worked properly then lots of tech nerds wouldn't have jobs, tons of money and disproportionately hot girlfriends.
In short, my sweet Twitter iphone App wouldn't exist. And I wouldn't be attracted to men who wear flasses.

But let's not get off track, back to Chris Gailus. The point of my story is that I hope he has a lot to teach us about anchoring. What I know so far about anchoring is as follows: It's a lot like dating.

1) Blink a lot, this makes you look natural and conversational. Will try this on tomorrow's date.

2) Move your head, but not too much. Will not be trying this on tomorrow's date.

3) Look down frequently but not too frequently. This is getting inappropriate, it's only a second date!

While dating and anchoring may be similar in that you have to sound intelligent, look good, and appear sincere and likable, the jury is still out as to which I'll be better at. I invite you all to weigh in. I know Brittany will!

No comments:

Post a Comment